Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Last April Wednesday Hodge Podge

Welcome to another edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. If you're visiting from the A-Z Blog Challenge you'll find my letter W post by scrolling all the way down to question #8. If you've answered the questions today add your link at the end of Joyce's post by clicking here, then go say hi to your neighbor. Hodgepodge links only please!  Here we go-

1. This is the last Hodgepodge in April. Share something you learned this month. 
I learned that April is a long month with no days off and 62 is not a bad age to be.
 
2.  It's National Poetry Month, and we all know you can't escape an April Hodgepodge without a little poetry. Keeping the first line as is, change the rest of the wording in this familiar rhyme to make it your own - 'Hickory Dickory Dock...

Hickory Dickory Dock
I'm a Senior and it's a crock
I thought 60'd be tough
But it's really not  rough
My bones just feel like they've been hit with a rock.

3. What were one or two rules in the home you grew up in? Growing up, did you feel your parents were strict? Looking back do you still see it that way? 
I have to agree with Joyce.  We must have been raised in the same era.  At my house it was always elbows off the table.  Always say "yes ma'am/no ma'am, yes sir/no sir."  There was a third one too...if you get in trouble at school/church you will be in worse trouble when you get home.  I tried to walk the straight and narrow.

4. Tell us about a kitchen or cooking disaster or mishap you've experienced. Do you have many from which to choose? 
I had a boy, Chuck, over at my house (against the rules) and we were cooking french fries.  We started kissing, forgot the grease, had a small fire, he grabbed the pan and took it outside and ended up with first, second, and third degree burns to his hands.  I was only 15, but had to drive him to the ER to be treated.  Boy, did I get in a lot of trouble.  The two of us had to scrub all the smoke damage from the kitchen.  What a mess.

5. Plant a kiss, plant doubt, plant a tree, plant yourself somewhere...which on the list have you most recently planted? 
Plant a tree (actually it was knockout roses) in my front yard to fill a gap where another bush had bit the bullet.

6. What's your most worn item of clothing this time of year? Are you tired of it? 
My black travel  jacket which is perfect for springtime weather. Am I tired of it? Never!

7. I'm wrapping up the A-Z Blog Challenge this month and our Hodgepodge lands on letter W. What's one word beginning with W that describes you in some way? How about a word to describe your home, also beginning with W?
Warm and Welcoming would be my words.  Anyone is invited in anytime.  If my house is a mess just overlook it.  Your company is what is important to me.

8. Insert your own random thought here.  I am using this space for today's A-Z Blog Challenge too- I chose a music theme for my month of A-Z and today

4 comments:

Nonnie said...

Wow. My dad would have flipped out over the fire! I like your description of yourself and your home.

Carla from The River said...

Oh my...your kitchen story!!! Are you still friends with the boy?
Your poem was fun.

Joyce said...

I love Wagon Wheel. We always sing really really loudly when he says the line about '...he's a-headed west from the Cumberland Gap to Johnson City...' because we lived in Johnson City for a few years. Always makes us smile : ) Some of my favorite W songs would be-We Shall Behold Him by Sandi Patty, While You See A Chance by Steve Winwood, and Wasted by Carrie Underwood. How's that for ecclectic?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I'm glad your loving your 60's. I'll be 65 this year and still haven't accepted it! I am sure I was told to keep my elbows off the table but we never had to address anyone with with the yes sir/no sir or yes mam/no man. Of course I think those are good manners to teach your children.