Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

P Is For Papa Was A Rolling Stone...

 
P is my A-Z Blog Challenge Letter Today and I have a Plethora of P songs for you today. I am a huge Temptations fan so my main choice is Papa Was A Rolling Stone.  I have always loved singing this song.  (This song topped the charts and later also became a hit for the Undisputed Truth (1972), Wolf (1983), and George Michael (1993, as a medley). "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" is listed in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In 1973, it won Grammys for Best R&B Song, Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus, and Best R&B Instrumental Performance.)

Penny Lane, by the Beatles is another one of my all-time favorite P songs.  (This chart-topping song, named after a street near John Lennon's childhood home, is included in Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.)
  
Patches is my last P song.  There are two songs that bear this name.  The one I love was done by Clarence Carter.  It is NOT the teenage love song.  This is a guaranteed cry song.  It reminds me of my father. (This R&B ballad, written by General Norman Johnson and Ronald Dunbar, tells the sad story about a boy from Alabama nicknamed Patches (because of his ragged old clothes) who promises his father on his deathbed to take care of the family. "Patches" won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Song in 1971.)   
  

1 comment:

It's me. said...

Great post Karen! Papa Was a Rolling Stone and Penny Lake are great songs. Patches is new to me. Whenever I think of Clarence Carter.... I think of his song Stroking! :D

Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com