Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

2015 A-Z April Clallenge - A is for Alabama






Today begins my A-Z Challenge.  I will be posting something every day....except Sunday with a different letter.  Each year so far I have done a themed blog, but this year I am feeling random.  I hope you will check in each day and see what was on my mind.  Today is the letter A.  I live in Alabama so I thought that would be a good place to start.  Welcome to my world.  I was not raised here, but I have come to love this place.  There are so many things I like.....and a great many I don't, but isn't that the way it is in life.  So sit back, and enjoy reading about this great state.  We have it all and if you are ever looking for a place to vacation I would recommend Alabama!
A is for Alabama .  Did you know that most people think the Mardi Gras originated in New Orleans....but it didn't.  Alabama introduced the Mardi Gras to the western world. The celebration is held on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Lent begins.  The first rocket to put humans on the moon was built in Huntsville, Alabama (aka - Rocket City). The world's first Electric Trolley System was introduced in Montgomery in 1886.   Alabama is the only state with all major natural resources needed to make iron and steel. It is also the largest supplier of cast-iron and steel pipe products.
Montgomery is the capital and the birthplace of the Confederate States of America. Alabama became the 22nd state on December 14, 1819.  The town of Enterprise houses the Boll Weevil Monument to acknowledge the role this destructive insect played in encouraging farmers to grow crops other than cotton.  Baseball player Henry Louis (Hank) Aaron was born in Mobile in 1934. Boxer Joe Louis was born in Lexington in 1914. He died in 1981. Contrary to popular belief "Alabama" is the official state song, not Sweet Home Alabama, or My Homes In Alabama..  At 2,405 feet Cheaha Mountain is Alabama's highest point above sea level.  It is one of the most beautiful places to go in the Spring and Fall. If you are a fan of the musical singing group Alabama you might like to visit their Fan Club and Museum in Fort Payne.   We have a lot of famous people here, but one of my favorites, Heather Whitestone, was chosen in 1995 and is still the first Miss America chosen with a disability.
I have a few friends from Winston County and I find it amusing that Winston County is often called the Free State of Winston. It gained the name during the Civil War.  The Monarch butterfly (Danaus pleipuss) is the state's official insect and there seems to be a grand abundance of them in my flower garden.. The pecan is the Alabama's official nut and if you ever find yourself south of Montgomery on I-65 be sure to stop in at Priesters Pecans....it is a must.   Unforgettable singer and entertainer Nathaniel Adams (Nat King) Cole was known as the man with the velvet voice. He was born in Montgomery in 1919 and died in 1965. At the Battle of Mobile Bay Admiral David Farragut issued his famous command, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead." The event occurred on August 5, 1864.  

No comments: