Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Counting The Days Til Hodgepodge

Welcome to another week in the Wednesday Hodgepodge. If your week is like my week, you're busy, so thank you for taking the time to play along today. Here we go-

 1. What is one new holiday tradition you'd like to establish, or one you've established recently, say in the last year or two?  Celebrating Advent in the house  We do it at church, but I would love to celebrate it each day at home.
2. It's the second week of December. Have you sipped a cup of eggnog yet this month? Wrapped a gift? Opened a gift? Kissed someone under the mistletoe? Lit a candle? Eaten a Christmas cookie? Seen Santa in person? Watched a Christmas movie or special? Read scripture relating to the birth of Jesus?  I have not had my traditional one cup of eggnog yet.  I have wrapped a few gifts and have several others to do.  I am behind just like Joyce. I have opened two gifts yet. No to the mistletoe, but I'm not opposed to it-ha! I burn candles year round, and my home is full of them at Christmastime. I bought some new ones from Celebrating Home and have really loved the Apple Pie one.  I've sampled a few Christmas cookies  at a couple of Holiday gatherings, and have also seen Santa.  I have  watched  just about every single movie Hallmark Channel has to offer.  I read scripture relating to the birth of Jesus every day during the month of December. I am a preacher and this is my favorite time of the year.
3. Do you think it's better to be an adult or a child at Christmastime? Explain.
I have loved both ends of this continuum.  I loved being a child and getting gifts and experiencing the magic of the season.  I love being an adult and making Christmas happen for those I love and those I don't even know.  My biggest kick this year was sending Christmas to Moldova for a child.  I would do without a gift myself for that kind of feeling. 
4. It's often said, 'Good things come to those who wait'...agree or disagree? Why?I am 100% with Joyce on this one.  Sometimes. And sometimes you snooze you lose.  It depends what we're talking about, but yes I think it can be true.  I think waiting is something of a lost art.  As it relates to Christmas, the waiting for it to get here is one of my favorite parts. 
5. What's the last sweet thing you baked? Did you keep it, take it to a party/event, or give it away?I baked two batches of pumpkin bread for Thanksgiving.  I also made Grannies Pecan Cornbread for Thanksgiving....and baked a few dozen Tollhouse Cookies.  I took most of them somewhere else.  I have a few new recipes I am planning to try out once I get out for the holidays.  I got a new bean pot from Celebrating Home and I can't wait to give it a whirl.
 6.  This question comes to us courtesy of Jhona who blogs over at The Red House at the End of the Lane. Everyone hop over and say hi to Jhona this week!  Here is her question... "I heard an actor talk about how he makes a conscious choice to talk to people in elevators.  He chooses to connect, make eye contact, and converse. Do you talk to people/strangers when you're in an elevator or any other place where you might have to wait together? Why or why not?"  I will talk to  anyone....anywhere....anytime.  Most people that know me know that I have an invisible neon sign I wear on my forehead that says..."If you talk, I will listen." 
7. Are you on the naughty or nice list this year? What put you there?
I am probably riding the fence this year.
8.  Random Thought - Today is Human Rights Day.  Many of you know that my daughter and her husband are missionaries in an orphanage in Moldova.  Talk about Human Rights...click here and visit the Christmas video for Stella's Voice.  This was the answer to my number 3 from above.  If you want to know more about Stella's Voice just google them.  You can learn all about what they are....




3 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the Tollhouse recipe for chocolate chip cookies...and the dough!
I'll bet that does make for some lively conversations between you and your husband, pastoring different churches!

Joyce said...

When we start thinking about our lists, and what some children in the world actually have/need, it definitely puts things in perspective. Enjoy your week!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I would like to celebrate Advent too. I love talking to people. I do it every time the opportunity arises. I hope to do some baking the week of Christmas.