Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Just Some Special Panties



After my grandmother (dad's mom) died my widowed aunt sort of became the grandmother figure of the family.  She was childless and the oldest of the siblings so it seemed pretty natural for this to happen.  My parents and I rarely came to Alabama for Christmas, but there was this one year we decided to make the trek during my school vacation.  I was so excited to get to spend time with my family.  Christmas morning we all gathered in the living room and opened gifts.  I had rarely gotten gifts from this side of the family so I was really looking forward to this event.  I saved up my allowance and bought my aunt a rose pen from Burdines in Florida.  I just knew she would love it!  She opened her gifts first and did not make a real big deal about what she got.  It hurt my feelings so see my rose pen just laid on the floor at her feet with a minimal thank you.  I mean....I bought this with my own money.....she could have at least acted like she was thrilled with it....but she did not.  After her came the grandchildren, by age.  My cousins Sherry and Gary opened some amazing gifts....a leather gun case and a beautiful pink suit from Froshins.  I was giddy with anticipation.  What would my gift be I wondered.  I did not think it would ever be my turn.  My cousin, Judy, was a month older than me and she finally went....then it was my turn.  We opened our presents at the same time....and once I tore all the paper and ribbons from the package....there it was.....this was the gift I had been patiently waiting to open.....I looked down and two big tears fell from my eyes...right on the gift.  There in my box....sat three pairs of Days of the Week panties.  Three pairs!  Last time I looked....there was a minimum of seven days in a week.  I looked at Judy's box....and there was the other four.  She at least ranked four.  I only got three.  I stood up....looked my aunt dead in the face....and handed Judy my three pairs of panties.  My aunt asked me why I did that and I told her that at least one of us would have a whole gift.  My dad was shocked at me.  He took my hand, lead me into the guest bedroom, and gave me the first and only spanking he would ever give me in my life.  I was crushed.  To add insult to injury I had to return to the living room where everyone knew what happened.....and apologize.  From that moment on I hated Alabama at Christmas time.  I wanted to stay where I was loved.  My aunt and I would be estranged because of those silly panties until I was a teenager.  I never owned Days of the Week panties....at least a complete set...and never wanted to.  When my girls were young they wanted some....it was all I could do to lay down money so they could have them.  Isn't it amazing what we hold fast to in the memories department.  This took place over 50 years ago....and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.....Let It Go!  So let me ask you all....have you ever had anything like this happen to you?  Please share with me so I don't feel like the only person on earth warped off the frame over some stinking panties!

No comments: