Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A-Z April Challenge - M is for Michigan

Today on my A-Z April Challenge Travels we are heading to the great state of Michigan.  In 2009 my dear friend Mary, my daughter Kat and her dear friend Mandy all took a journey to Michigan.  Each on of us got to choose somewhere in the state we wanted to see.  Mary chose Frankenmuth, I chose Mackinaw Island, Kat chose Traverse City, and Mandy chose the new stadium at Michigan in Ann Arbor.  Anything else we got to see was just icing on the cake.  If you have never been to Michigan it is a must to put on your travel Bucket list.  We ate at Rosie's Diner just outside of Traverse City.  Guy Fieri featured it on Diner's Drive Ins and Dives.  The food was amazing and the atmosphere was great fun. 
We climbed Sleeping Bear Dunes, saw lighthouses, danced in a vat of cherry pits, visited the Cherry Republic, and ate fresh cherries til our lips and fingers were bright red. 

Traverse City is a great place to visit.  From there we went to Mackinaw and the Island.  We visited the town that night and the next morning took a ferry across to the island where we became fudgies.  We spent the day enjoying the stories and sites of Mackinaw. 


Coming back we got to see a ship like the one that was the Edmund Fitzgerald.  We spent a couple of days exploring the area and making a trek over the big bridge to Ontario.  I really had wanted to see the Edmund Fitzgerald Museum but time got away from us.  Our next stop was Frankenmuth.  Frankenmuth is a German style town much like Helen, GA. 




 
 
The food at the German restaurants was amazing.  It was done family style.  We visited several Cheese Hauses, and I bought Frank some Beer Kaza (sp).  Let me tell you that it stinks!  I ended up throwing it away somewhere in Kentucky because it smelled so bad in the car.  Our big adventure of the trip was to Christmas hell.  Actually it was Bronner's Christmas Store.  We spent over seven hours here.  I have never seen so many Christmas decorations.  The chapel outside was my favorite part of Bronners.  It was a replica of the chapel where Silent Night was first performed.  All around the chapel are the words to Silent Night in every known language. 

We ended up in Anne Arbor and the University of Michigan.  We had planned to eat at another restaurant Guy Fieri had featured but an Art Festival had all the streets blocked so we headed on to Monmouth Caverns in Kentucky.  If you ever get a chance to explore the United States you must do this.  There are so many exciting things to see, so many wonderful places to eat, and so many fascinating people to meet.  I can't wait for my next girl trip. 

No comments: